CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Where Ya Comin' From?

Thursday, August 6, 2009

:) WADAYA KNOW........OR THINK THURSDAY

I am so excited. I have been taking a Photography Course thought the New York Institute of Photography. My brain lacks some hard drive and memory, so it is difficult for me to remember all the STUFF! But I love it. I wanted to create a blog to keep all my photos on and we came up to the cabin on Tuesday and that is what I have been working on. My Internet up here is so slow, so when I get home I will upload more pics, but here it is! It is my own little gallery! :) Kinda like one of those cooking blogs! Whoo Hooo!
Looking Through My Lens Photography

Nicknames

I love nicknames, and I am gonna share a few with you. When I was little, my cousin Jann had a little boy, Mike and I baby sat him a lot. My dad's name is Spencer, so Mike called him Uncle Pencer. Dad always said I looked like him so he called me Little Pencer. It was then shortened to Pench. I am still called that.

When my nephew, Tyler was little he called Cole "Bo" and we still call her that. Stacy's name is Stacy Lamae, so "Mae" it is. Judy Brammer called Ryan Mutton Chops when he was a baby and we called him Choppers forever. The girls call him Smelly! I call him Ry-Guy. Joyce and I call each other HOOCH! She is #1 and I am # 2. Joyce just got a new apple computer, so I guess her new one is Mac!!! :)

For some reason, shortening a name or calling some one by a nickname shows love and closeness.

Why do I love nicknames? I feel it brings a closeness to that special person. It is a fun way to show love for that person.

In the dictionary it says:

A nickname (also spelled "nick name") is a descriptive name given in place of or in addition to the official name of a person, place or thing. It can also be the familiar or truncated form of the proper name, which may sometimes be used simply for convenience (ex. "Bob", "Bobby", "Rob", "Robbie", "Hob", and "Bert" for "Robert"), sometimes referred to as a short name.



Years ago, the church tried to get people to not us Mormon, but instead call it The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. All good but one nick name I LOVE LOVE LOVE is Mormon.

President Hinckley wrote:

The Mormon church, of course, is a nickname. And nicknames have a way of becoming fixed. I think of the verse concerning a boy and his name:


Father calls me William,
Sister calls me Will,
Mother calls me Willie,
But the fellers call me Bill.



I suppose that regardless of our efforts, we may never convert the world to general use of the full and correct name of the Church. Because of the shortness of the word Mormon and the ease with which it is spoken and written, they will continue to call us the Mormons, the Mormon church, and so forth.
More than fifty years ago, when I was a missionary in England, I said to one of my associates, “How can we get people, including our own members, to speak of the Church by its proper name?”
He replied, “You can’t. The word Mormon is too deeply ingrained and too easy to say.” He went on, “I’ve quit trying. While I’m thankful for the privilege of being a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of the Church which bears His name, I am not ashamed of the nickname Mormon.”
“Look,” he went on to say, “if there is any name that is totally honorable in its derivation, it is the name Mormon. And so, when someone asks me about it and what it means, I quietly say—‘Mormon means more good.’ ”

His statement intrigued me—Mormon means “more good.” I knew, of course, that “more good” was not a derivative of the word Mormon. I had studied both Latin and Greek, and I knew that English is derived in some measure from those two languages and that the words more good are not a cognate of the word Mormon. But his was a positive attitude based on an interesting perception. And, as we all know, our lives are guided in large measure by our perceptions. Ever since, when I have seen the word Mormon used in the media to describe us—in a newspaper or a magazine or book or whatever—there flashes into my mind his statement, which has become my motto: Mormon means “more good.”
We may not be able to change the nickname, but we can make it shine with added luster.
After all, it is the name of a man who was a great prophet who struggled to save his nation, and also the name of a book which is a mighty testament of eternal truth, a veritable witness of the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I love this. I also love the names we refer to Christ as: Prince of Peace, Counselor, Redeemer, Savior, Brother, Son of God, Lord of Lords, Emmanuel, Messiah, Everlasting Father, Jehovah and Divine Son.

WSDAYA think about nicknames? What's yours? What's your loved ones?

5 comments:

Lynn

Loved this! And I am excited about your photography blog! WOW! You rock!

Nicknames are something I never really thought about, but it's SO true! We all do it. Now I know why and it feels good.

Dean calls me Lyndsy.
I call him Deano. He was called that from birth, as well as Dimpled Darling. ; ) I think he prefers Deano. LOL!

My dad is Bill. Short for William.

mErEk and DaRy

I love your blog!! I am definately a fan of nicknames as well, and I always love that you call Derek Derk.
Some of my nick names are Chubba, Tiny, Small one, Murry, M-dith, and Murrah. When I was on the ballroom team, Ryan used to call me ducky which i always thought was so funny.

mErEk and DaRy
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia

We are huge fans of nicknames!! I love them. I ask my three year old what her name is and she says "Binny Bam Boozle" (Brynleigh) Chase's nickname is "Chasadilla" Kaidan's nickname was "Kadee annie Oh Oh Oh Oh and K dog. McKenna's was "Nuzzy", Laura's is "Laura lu who" or "Lulu belle" Tanner is "The Tanman" Elizabeth is "Bethie" Wade is "Bubba or Wade Duh" Mine is "Julze" . Joseph is "Jo Jo". And Emma is "Em in Em" (M & M) or "Emma lu who"
I love the nicknames. I don't know what we'd do without them!!

Missy

This is such a fun post, Judy! I think nicknames are so fun too. Well I go by my nickname, Missy because I never really like to be called Melissa. My parents call me Miss Muffet too. I loved hearing all your fun nicknames.

Uplifting Quotes

"Good times only come into our lives when we open our hearts and let them in." Judy Pasley

"Nothing can be more bleak, than taking the World's Media Road to discover who you are.
Nothing can be more serene, than discovering who you are through service, love, charity and compassion." Lynn Crapo

"Trying to please others will not make you happy. Just being happy will in the end, please others." Lynn Crapo

. . . . . . . . . . . . Debbie Walker

GO GET YOUR BOOBIES SMASHED...REMEMBER...A SMASHED BOOBY IS BETTER THAN NO BOOBY !!! (Get your mamo today!) Kazmin Nye


LOVE.....
Remember how it started,
remember the happiness it brought to you,
and endure the heartaches to never let it die. Natalie Williams


The closest I will ever get to heaven is through a child. Natalie Williams

..."Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance..." Kazmin Nye


"When you don't get what you want it's because God thought of something better to give you." Holly Davis

"Sometimes God calms the storm. Other times he lets the storm rage and calms the child" Angie Guyman

"Memory making and moments come but once.
You can't bring back time, so the time you take is certainly priceless!" Lynn Crapo

"Tradition: a clock that tells us what time it is." - Elbert Hubbard

"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." — Eric Hoffer

Our Backyard

Our Backyard
Fun In The Sun

Hinckley Challenge