CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Where Ya Comin' From?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dexter

Today I went visiting with Carol. She is the first counselor in the Relief Society. I am the Secretary. We went to visit some Sisters for their birthdays. We went to Laurel's. She is in her late 70's. I love her. She was telling us about her life. Met her husband on a blind date and 10 days later they were married. Has 7 kids. One of them they named Dexter. He had spinal bifida. She took care of him for 14 years. The only time she left the house was to go to the grocery store. For 14 years!!!!! She got so she could tell what was wrong with him by his eyes. He couldn't speak. He cried if she opened the fridge and that is how she knew he was hungry. They got a new TV and she told the other kids not to touch the buttons. When his dad come home and turned on the TV, he started to yell. Laurel knew that he knew not to touch the buttons and didn't want his dad to get in trouble. He passed away when he was 14. She took care of him and in 14 years he never had a bed sore. That is a devoted mommy. I went over thinking I could give her some time and walked away with so much more. She reminds me of my Grandma Denning, so it is so fun being with her. I think we can learn our life lessons from others who have traveled down roads that we don't. When we start thinking things are not great in our lives we can just look into the eyes of someone who has sacrificed everything for a loved one. That's what it's all about.

1 comments:

Lynn

Oh I truly believe that this is the WHOLE reason for Visiting Teaching. I so want so many sisters to catch the vision of that. I can see that you do. Thank you for sharing that! We truly can learn from one another. We can take just a moment to look outside our own life's and take a step into someone else's and learn and grow from their experiences while visiting with them. Then when we take a step back into our own lives, we become more motivated. More compassionate. More grateful for what we have. Have more desire to give more and want less. That's why I love Visiting the sisters.
Thank you! You said it so well. How blessed you are to have such good people in your ward to share these experiences with.

Uplifting Quotes

"Good times only come into our lives when we open our hearts and let them in." Judy Pasley

"Nothing can be more bleak, than taking the World's Media Road to discover who you are.
Nothing can be more serene, than discovering who you are through service, love, charity and compassion." Lynn Crapo

"Trying to please others will not make you happy. Just being happy will in the end, please others." Lynn Crapo

. . . . . . . . . . . . Debbie Walker

GO GET YOUR BOOBIES SMASHED...REMEMBER...A SMASHED BOOBY IS BETTER THAN NO BOOBY !!! (Get your mamo today!) Kazmin Nye


LOVE.....
Remember how it started,
remember the happiness it brought to you,
and endure the heartaches to never let it die. Natalie Williams


The closest I will ever get to heaven is through a child. Natalie Williams

..."Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance..." Kazmin Nye


"When you don't get what you want it's because God thought of something better to give you." Holly Davis

"Sometimes God calms the storm. Other times he lets the storm rage and calms the child" Angie Guyman

"Memory making and moments come but once.
You can't bring back time, so the time you take is certainly priceless!" Lynn Crapo

"Tradition: a clock that tells us what time it is." - Elbert Hubbard

"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." — Eric Hoffer

Our Backyard

Our Backyard
Fun In The Sun

Hinckley Challenge