Table Rock is the little nub in the center of this picture.
Jp in 2008 on top
So yesterday I get a text from Jp. It said "I'm putting together a work out plan and weight loss goal program so you will need to declare your starting weigh so I can chart it. Together we can do it."
I quickly texted the words...." Hell no! No declaring nothing here!"
Can you believe the nerve of that guy! :}
I hate exercise, but I AM going to get on top of Table Rock. It is 7 miles straight up......and 7 miles (UP) down. I did it in high school and I BARELY made it. I CRAWLED UP over the top.....bawling like a baby. So we started today, and it is amazing how much easier it is with a goal in mind. These people (my fam) ARE NOT leaving me at the bottom of this mountain. It will be fun keeping you updated with my progress. My goal is to 1. Get off Prednisone (and the water I pack on because of it) 2. Loose 35 pounds 3. Build some muscle 4. Be able to run 7ish miles. 5. Change my eating habits 6. Cut way back on DP....I said cut back, not quit. 7. Take our 2010 family Christmas card on top of Table Rock with the Grand Tetons Behind us! :}
Do you think I can do this? :{
So it has been awhile since I did a WADAYA think Thrusday.....and yes, today is Wednesday but Tomorrow is Cole's Birthday, so here goes.
I recently had an event happen in my life that BLEW ME AWAY! I have been kinda ticked about it. But being ticked is Satan's way! :} So I am trying to better my life, and not let it consume me.
I have been doing some soul searching about forgivenss and holding grudges. I found this article at the Mayo Clinic that is so good. You can see it here.
In the 2007 Ensign, President Monson tells a story that President Kimball told. He quoted an account written by Samuel T. Whitman titled
“Forgotten Wedges."
Whitman wrote: “The ice storm [that winter] wasn’t generally destructive. True, a few wires came down, and there was a sudden jump in accidents along the highway. … Normally, the big walnut tree could easily have borne the weight that formed on its spreading limbs. It was the iron wedge in its heart that caused the damage.
“The story of the iron wedge began years ago when the white-haired farmer [who now inhabited the property on which the tree stood] was a lad on his father’s homestead. The sawmill had then only recently been moved from the valley, and the settlers were still finding tools and odd pieces of equipment scattered about. …
“On this particular day, [the lad found] a faller’s wedge—wide, flat, and heavy, a foot or more long, and splayed from mighty poundings. [A faller’s wedge, used to help fell a tree, is inserted in a cut made by a saw and then struck with a sledgehammer to widen the cut.] … Because he was already late for dinner, the lad laid the wedge … between the limbs of the young walnut tree his father had planted near the front gate. He would take the wedge to the shed right after dinner, or sometime when he was going that way.
“He truly meant to, but he never did. [The wedge] was there between the limbs, a little tight, when he attained his manhood. It was there, now firmly gripped, when he married and took over his father’s farm. It was half grown over on the day the threshing crew ate dinner under the tree. … Grown in and healed over, the wedge was still in the tree the winter the ice storm came.
“In the chill silence of that wintry night, … one of the three major limbs split away from the trunk and crashed to the ground. This so unbalanced the remainder of the top that it, too, split apart and went down. When the storm was over, not a twig of the once-proud tree remained.
“Early the next morning, the farmer went out to mourn his loss. …
“Then, his eyes caught sight of something in the splintered ruin. ‘The wedge,’ he muttered reproachfully. ‘The wedge I found in the south pasture.’ A glance told him why the tree had fallen. Growing, edge-up in the trunk, the wedge had prevented the limb fibers from knitting together as they should.”
There are hidden wedges in the lives of many whom we know—yes, perhaps in our own families."
I LOVE this. It is so true. If we have a wedge in our lives, it destroys the fibers of our beings. Satan wants us to wedge bad feelings, hurts, pain, comments into our hearts. He wants us to hold grudges and not forgive. He wants us to be miserable and to hurt others because of our hurt. He wants us to seek revenge and get even.
I think I am a pretty forgiving person. I hate the energy it takes to be mad and let things fester. That has been one thing I have been pretty good about is taking care of issues when they arise, and work them out, then poof, let them go. It is an everyday process. Good and bad cannot survive in the same heart. Love and hate cannot survive together.
One thing my hubby has taught me is to let things go. Sometimes I don't know how he does it....I guess he loves himself. (Have I told you what an amazing man he is?) Even though some things were hard for him growing up, he loves others and forgives easily. He has taken his trials in the past and made them into an amazing character. He has not let the past taunt or taint him. I love that about him.
Think for a minute......can you count your wedges? If so.....write them down and work them out. They can destroy us in the end.
Audrey Stephenson said:
Harbouring negative feelings against a friend who's wronged you is a natural human urge that many of us have difficulty suppressing. Part of the reason is because we invested so much of ourselves plus time and energy in trying to make the relationship a success.
We took a risk by opening up and placing our trust and faith in another person and it backfired.
While you have every right to be upset, the question is, when do you let go? At what point do you say to yourself, "Okay, I'm going to move on now."?
Here's a list of seven reasons why you should fight through the hurt and not hold grudges:
- Living in the past influences your future relationships and prevents them from progressing.
- Negative emotions that accompany grudges drain a great deal of emotional energy and can leave you feeling irritable and anxious.-
Grudges can contribute to physical stress such as high blood pressure and other health issues.- It causes you to divert your attention from other important aspects of your life that require attention.
- Holding onto feelings of resentment prevents you from truly being healed.- Grudges can alter your view of the world and cause you to be less objective when faced with similar situations.
- You can become consumed from a mental standpoint by plotting revenge or replaying the events of what happened over in your mind.
Grudges have this nasty way of staying with you like a lingering cough during flu season, and its affects can be hazardous to us.
The decision to turn the other cheek is a difficult decision to make because our head and heart are telling us two different things.
We may know in our own minds that holding grudges it isn't the best thing to do and that it's holding us back from living the fullest possible life however, if we haven't let go of the pain in our hearts, then it becomes to even think about moving ahead.
The key is to learn from the experience and be a wiser person when similar situations arise in the future.
Approach adversity like it's a new challenge waiting to be conquered.
You are not stuck where you are unless you decide to be. --Wayne W. Dyer
So people.....I am de-wedging my life....wadaya think?







9 comments:
You are braver than me!! I am SO excited for all the changes you are attempting. Way to go Judy!!! I will be cheering you on.
I will be cheering you on all the way up that mountain.
I will be cheering you on as you try to take the wedges out of your life. (That one is HUGE!) I don't know if I could do that.....but you have truly inspired me. Loved those articles. I think I am going to give it a try again.....forgive someone that I already thought I forgave before.....I don't know....but I will try once more...thanks!
I have a lot of those same goals! I am trying to work out daily now!! It is hard for me cause I HATE working out!! But I just started going to water aerobics monday's and wednesday's from 8-9 pm at the aquatic center and it is fun!! If you want a good fun workout you should go! It's only $3 a time!
DEWEDGE AWAY AND FOR THE HIKE, WELL I WOULD WAIT AT THE BOTTOM WITH A GOOD BOOK. LOVE YA
I know you can lose weight and make it to the top of table rock!! I have never hiked up there, but it is so beautiful. If I can lose weight you can! We are trying to get healthier as well, and thus far I have lost 12 lbs! Keep us updated! I will be a cheerleader for you!
Love the wedge story, it's one of my favs! Miss you tons! Loves!
That's so great that you're going to hike Tablerock with your family. That'll be so fun to do all together. I recently started working out again since Jacoby was born and it has been hard, but I feel so much healthier.
It's always a good thing for me to think about things I can work harder on in my life. Grudges are so silly and I know I need to try to let things go and not let them consume me. Thank you, Judy!
Judy I can totally understand about Predisone. I was on it for 4 months with my 1st pregnancy and I'm still working off the weight. I got pregnant again and now I'm working off the weight of 2 kids. That's about 50 lbs. I've also started a private blog for me to journal on. If you want to read it I'll send you an invite.
I totally understand the "wedges" and grudges. Sometimes it's really hard to let hurt feelings go and understand the true meaning of the Atonement and the greatest sacrifice from the Savior. Learning to let go, forgive, and learning to love them again can sometimes be hard. But like you said, It's Satan's way of making us miserable. We are so much stronger than he is. We just have to remember that and keep going.
Hope this year is going better for you!
~Britt~
Oh and I really think you will make it to the top of your mountain this year. That hike is really, REALLY hard! I hope that you reach that goal with your family!
Way to go! For all of it! Way to de-wedge. And you can totally hike Table Rock this summer. However, I have never done it ha ha. I will one day! (Maybe.)
I can't wait to see your family picture on your Christmas card next year, how fun. You can do it!!! O boy and the wedges...I don't know where to begin, that's a tough one and it sure ruins your own life as well as others when you hold grudges. Your such a good person Judy thanks for keeping us all in line, love ya.
Post a Comment