CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Where Ya Comin' From?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Who’s Fred?…….{giveaway}

41g56oSAbOL__SL500_AA300_

While at Cabo, I was able to listen to a guest speaker that has written several books. His name is Mark Sanborn and he wrote the motivational book called the Fred Factor. It was amazing, and while he spoke on how to help gain motivation in the business world, I adjusted what he said to include my tiny little life.

He tells of a time in his life that he had just moved into a new neighborhood. One day he received a knock at the door to find a man standing there in a blue suit holding a bag. He introduced himself as Fred, the mailman. “I want to introduce my self to you and let you know that I have noticed that you travel alot, so if you will give me your calendar, I will hold your mail for you while you are gone and deliver it on the day that you arrive home. That way now one will know you are gone.”

Mark was amazed. For years Fred delivered the mail and one day Mark returned from a business trip to find that his rug on the front step was missing. He looked around and saw it over in the corner with something under it. It was a box that had been delivered from UPS, on it was a note from Fred explaining that UPS had delivered the box to the wrong address, so he put it on his step and covered it with the rug to keep it from being seen by others. Not only was Fred doing his job, but also the job of the UPS guy. :}

This man made a lasting impression on Mark. Fred was not only his mailman, but his friend because he took the time to do his job and really care about the people that he delivered mail to.

Martin Luther king Jr. said “If a man is to be called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a  great street sweeper who did his job well”

So that's the Fred Factor in a nutshell. No matter what we do in our life we can go to the extreme to do a good job, make a difference and create a legend that will never leave us.

The book is full of” Fred Sightings”…..experiences where people have touched his life by going up and beyond their job to make a difference.

One I loved was one time he was traveling, he spilt his coffee on his jeans. When he got to the hotel he called to see if he could get  laundry service, and was told that the service was closed for the day. She then told him that if he could get his jeans ready, she would pick them up, take them home and launder them for him. The next morning, she delivered a clean and pressed pair of jeans for him to wear on his way home.

But my favorite is “Spread the Fred” He lists 3 things to spread the Fred:

1. Recognize the Fred’s in your life.

2. Acknowledge Freds for the contributions.

3. Pay Freds back. You know….pay it forward.

I think it is one of those speakers that will stick in my mind, one that really hits home and makes a difference.

Leave me a comment about a Fred Sighting in your life and I will pick one and send you a signed copy.

{Notice: These sightings may be posted on my blog}

This is one of the Hi-lights of my Cabo trip. We went zip lining across this ravine and the rappelled down a 185 foot cliff. So stinking fun!

canyon view DSC_0038 DSC_0082 DSC_0213 DSC_0214 DSC_0215 DSC_0216 DSC_0233 DSC_0308 DSC_0309 DSC_0312

4 comments:

Holly

That zipline looks like a blast!!! I LOVE motvational speakers like that! He sounds awesome!! :)

Lynn

Oh my gosh! You have no fear woman. Loved the pics of your zip lining!

Loved the Fred stories. It reminds me of this young mother, who works at the local grocery store that we go to all the time. She never seems rushed, mad, or frustrated. And believe you me, she has plenty of reasons to whenever I've seen her. She handles each and every customer with class and charm. One time she went WAY above the duty to help me when I was SO frustrated. It amazed me. I even went so far as to go to the customer service and ask them to get me the manager. Of course, they thought there was a problem......but when the manager realized that all I wanted to do was to commend him for hiring this young mother and help his recognize what an amazing employee she was, he was so surprised but thanked me for taking the time to let him know. I think he even started looking at her in a different light....because I witnessed him thanking her for handling a "tough" customer one time.

Shannon Dooley

Fun! I'm glad you had a great time!

I want to read that book! My most recent Fred story just happened yesterday actually. I had been telling Chandler for awhile that we could go to McDonald's, get ice cream, & play one day soon. Yesterday Jared asked me to pick up an order for him & a co-worker at McDonalds so I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone & take Chandler in rather than use the drive thru. It seemed like a good plan until I placed my order for 2 drinks, 2 ice creams, & burgers while holding a diaper bag, an infant, & trying to keep tabs on my 3 year old. I paid & without saying anything just thought, 'I'll have to make 2 trips.' Out of no where one of the McDonald's employees, an elderly woman, came up to me & said "when they get your order together, you let me carry it out for you since you have your hands full." Then a man met me at the soda machine & asked if he could fill up my drinks for me. The best part were their smiles & eagerness to help. It wasn't an attitude of "doesn't this lady know what the drive thru is for?!" It was a genuine, kind gesture & I was so appreciative.

Christal

Oh my you fun girl you great pictures! i want to do that someday!!! Love the pics and motivational post you are awesome! Love the bridals above too she is so pretty and you are a great mom with great kids!

Uplifting Quotes

"Good times only come into our lives when we open our hearts and let them in." Judy Pasley

"Nothing can be more bleak, than taking the World's Media Road to discover who you are.
Nothing can be more serene, than discovering who you are through service, love, charity and compassion." Lynn Crapo

"Trying to please others will not make you happy. Just being happy will in the end, please others." Lynn Crapo

. . . . . . . . . . . . Debbie Walker

GO GET YOUR BOOBIES SMASHED...REMEMBER...A SMASHED BOOBY IS BETTER THAN NO BOOBY !!! (Get your mamo today!) Kazmin Nye


LOVE.....
Remember how it started,
remember the happiness it brought to you,
and endure the heartaches to never let it die. Natalie Williams


The closest I will ever get to heaven is through a child. Natalie Williams

..."Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance..." Kazmin Nye


"When you don't get what you want it's because God thought of something better to give you." Holly Davis

"Sometimes God calms the storm. Other times he lets the storm rage and calms the child" Angie Guyman

"Memory making and moments come but once.
You can't bring back time, so the time you take is certainly priceless!" Lynn Crapo

"Tradition: a clock that tells us what time it is." - Elbert Hubbard

"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." — Eric Hoffer

Our Backyard

Our Backyard
Fun In The Sun

Hinckley Challenge