My mind doesn’t have the talent of comprehending things and locking them away forever. I listen to lessons and talks, love them, and try to apply them to my life, only to find that I can’t pull up the details weeks later.
One has stuck in my mind for several years. When Nicole graduated from High school, I attended her Seminary Graduation. The speaker was the Stake President from Ucon. He talked about how as a child he looked forward to Easter and the chocolate bunny he would receive. It didn't take him and his siblings long to realize that some bunnies were hollow, which meant that it would be gone quickly and some bunnies were solid milk chocolate, which meant that if he was careful, it would last months, as he broke off pieces to savor.
He then went on to tell us that at first appearance he couldn’t tell whether it was solid or hollow. They all looked the same. It wasn’t until he bit into an ear that he was either elated or disappointed.
He then applied it to our lives. He presented his talk and then asked if we were solid or Hollow bunnies. I will never forget that talk. I wondered if I was solid or hollow.
Some of the examples can be:
Do we serve others or just care about ourselves?
Do we listen…..or do we do all the talking?
Do we have a firm foundation in our religion or do we go for social purposes?
Do we pick apart small things that people do or are we accepting no matter what?
Do we thrive on the worldly materials, or are we building treasures toward heaven?
Do we find the good in everyone, or do we find fault?
Do we have a forgiving heart?
Does our outward appearance matter more than what’s inside?
Does our lives revolve around what makes us happy in the world or how we can make someone else’s life better in this world.
Are we positive in our thinking, or do we have a negative attitude about everything?
Are we so busy chasing our dream that the true meaning of our life is slipping through our fingers?
Do we focus on the importance of the activity that we forget the reason we are together?
Do we need to be the center of attention and noticed, or can we sit back and enjoy the personalities of those around us?
Do we take time for our loved ones or spend all our time chasing after the world?
Do we ever set down and thank our Heavenly Father for the simple things in out lives?
Does the big things in the world make us happy or can we marvel at a sunset or listen to the birds chirp?
Do we have a deep soul that has empathy or are we so caught up in life that we don’t have time to stop and notice?
I walked away from that talk with a different perspective. I have never forgot it. I think about it all the time. It is my way of evaluating myself…..SOLID OR HOLLOW…..it’s just that simple.
To be honest, I think I could have easily chased the worldly dream…..the big home, nice cars…..but God has had a way of bring me to my knees. Watching my sweet hubby go through 3 cancers and the aftermath, I have been able to feel my inside soul grow and become solid.
I cherish so much more than I took the time to do several years ago. I still get so wrapped up in life, but then I think about……THE BUNNY.
And for some fun stuff. Since my kids were little, I have saved all their T shirts and cut them into squares. I have been trying to make Stacy a quilt with them. I also cut their levis to make a rag quilt. It is so fun and brings back so many memories.
It has been tons of work b/c each square has to be surged onto cotton fabric so it doesn’t stretch out. I almost have them sewed together and then I will tie it into a quilt!!! Super fun! {the one in the upper left corner is Stacy’s red apple preschool shirt!}
OH AND CHECK OUT THESE FUN BOOKS HERE







9 comments:
Fun quilt!
Thanks so much for sharing... I love how simple that reminder can be to bring us back to what is really important. You are the best!
I wanted to make one of those quilts for my brother for graduation... you just reminded me! Crap I better get busy :) Luv ya!
THANK YOU for sharing that talk. What a great one! I will certainly remember it now too.. Wow. So simple. But so powerful.
And you are so smart with the quilt idea! Sure wish I had thought of that. My kids had so many shirts from different places. Very cool idea.
LOVE that talk! Thanks for the reminder! Wow, lots of work for the quilt but it will def. be a treasure for years to come! How fun!
Thanks for this blog! It is such a great thing to think about. I love that quilt idea & am going to do the same for my kids. Thanks for the creative idea Jud!
Your awesome Judy! You always have the best things to say :) I love love love the quilt. I didn't know what to do with my girls preschool, tee ball and cheer camp shirts Now I know I am going to save them and save all the ones too come and someday you will help me with a quilt right?? Love ya
Yeah, those are great things to think about! Thanks.
I love t-shirt quilts and will definitely do this for my kids. It looks good!
Judy - you are solid gold. Cute quilt. You are so creative. Love You
Judy I loved your post...after reading those...there are some things I know I can definitely work on...your spirit is always so sweet! I love ya!
Post a Comment